Loading custom search...

dog behind bars

Calendar of Events

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the SECC?

The State Employees Charitable Campaign was created in 1987 to COMBINE all charitable appeals and giving drives into one annual event. Participation in the annual SECC means assurance that the most efficient and consistent pathway is being used for state employees to support our annual tradition of charitable giving. 

Why should I donate through the SECC?

Giving through payroll deduction is one of the best ways to support the charities you care about.  You can give small amounts with each paycheck that add up to make a big difference for deserving causes. Your donations are deducted automatically from each paycheck. It's easy, efficient, and affordable.

Why is giving through payroll deduction better than sending a check directly to the charity?

Payroll deduction contributions are incredibly beneficial. Regularly contributed funding, even in small amounts, provides the charity with consistent streams of revenue. Other contributions are greatly appreciated but not budgeted; however, payroll contributions help ensure that the charity's programming can go on as planned, regardless if other funding is sporadic. Additionally, the charity greatly benefits from the reduced cost of administrative work associated with gift processing.

When employees designate through payroll deduction, they are helping the organization decrease fundraising costs and streamline processes so that a greater percentage of the gift goes directly to programming for individuals being served.

How can I find more information about charitable giving?

Click here to access our Charitable Giving Resource Guide. The best donor is an informed donor.

Who can I donate to through the SECC?

You have the option to donate to over 1200 charities that impact communities on a local, state or national level. With so many choices, you can donate to a cause that's important to you.

When can I donate through the SECC?

The campaign runs for five weeks from mid-September to mid-October. You can pledge by payroll deduction anytime during these dates using your MI-HR Self-Service Account or anytime throughout the year by calling the MI-HR Service Center directly at (877) 766-6447.

How can I donate through the SECC?

Through payroll deduction using your MI HR Self-Service Account, by telephone (877) 766-6447, online or by check or credit card.

What is an Umbrella Charity?

An umbrella, sometimes called a federation or association, is an organization that represents groups of nonprofit charities in the SECC Statewide campaign. Some umbrellas bring together charities with common missions, such as health care or environmental conservation. Others are associations of nonprofits with wide-ranging interests.

What can $2 per pay period provide?

First aid instruction to 48 people! Find out more ways your dollars can help here.

What can $10 per pay period provide?

Summer camp for two foster children! Find out more ways your dollars can help here.

I filled out my pledge form, now what?

That depends. If you selected 'payroll deduction' then your form should be mailed to: 

ATTN: MI HR Service Center
P.O. Box 30002
Lansing, MI 48909 

If you are using a check or credit card then your form should be mailed to:

ATTN: Campaign Manager/Fiscal Agent
Michigan Association of United Ways
330 Marshall Street, Suite 211
Lansing, MI 48912

The campaign is over and I forgot to make a pledge. Can I still give?

Although open enrollment runs from mid-September to mid-October, you can call the MI HR Service Center at (877) 766-6447 or (517) 284-6460 anytime throughout the year to add or change your payroll deduction.

How can I volunteer with the SECC?

Email the current SECC Statewide Coordinator, Christyn Herman at hermanc3@michigan.gov or SECC Program Director, Heather Travis at htravis@uwmich.org.

I don't see my favorite charity.

Email a Campaign Associate and find out how to get a charity listed in the SECC.

I don't see an answer to my question.

Email a Campaign Associate and get a quick answer here.

Home  |   Donate Now!  |   Donors  |   Charities  |   Volunteers  |   FAQs  |   About Us  |   Contact Us

330 Marshall Street, Suite 211 Lansing, MI 48912 (517) 371-4360

© Copyright 2012-2015 Michigan State Employees Charitable Campaign. All rights reserved.